With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to him and acceptable by him. Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God re-mold your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves towards the goal of true maturity. (Romans 12:1-2 JB Phillips)
Where I don’t know Kim Davis, the county clerk in Rowan County, Kentucky, I do know this… it is clear we live in a land that is increasingly behaving arrogantly toward God. I get that the court had a duty to uphold a law of the high court, I don’t find fault in this decision… but as a man of faith and a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ, as defined by the Holy Bible, I rejoice in the Lord for the boldness of that county clerk from Rowan County, Kentucky.
If I still had children in my home under my authority,
- I would gather them around me tonight and explain to them that today in our country an imperfect woman, who made a lot of mistakes before she was rescued from the wrath of God, had other options, but chose to obey her God as she understood His word rather than men.
- I would explain to them that we do live in a land with laws and this family obeys those laws.
- I would explain to them that there may be some laws that would cause us to disobey God’s character, nature or laws. I would explain that this is no small thing to consider and that in reality there will not be many times we will have to make that kind of decision.
- I would explain as much as possible about how the national media is using her stand for God to ridicule her and us. We can use the media to train our hearts to not grow weary and even to keep us humble before God.
- I would explain to them, even if you disagreed with her choice to go this route, that we will pray for her. Today, in our land, a professing believer was arrested because she chose not to be squeezed into a mold and to comply with the demands of offenders of God.
- I would explain to them that we must learn to become bold proclaimers of the grace of God while we stand our ground.
- I would retell them the story of Daniel.
- I would retell them the story of the three Hebrew young men.
- I would retell them the story of Peter, James, John, Paul, John Bunyan, Corrie ten Boom, Steve McMullin, Silas Thompson, Drew Culberth, Jim Allen, and Saeed Abedini.
- I would tell them, “I want you to believe as bravely as they and take every opportunity you can to speak of the certain wrath of God to come, and then get straight way to the gospel as clearly and quickly as possible.”
- I would explain to them that this will likely not be the last time we hear of this happening in our land.
- I would assure them that we are not of those who shrink back from our faith (Hebrews 10:39).
- I would then ask them if they have any questions.
- I would then pray.
There is enough to read about this story that my little musing is nearly unnecessary. I expected the court to arrest her and I expect the LGBTQ… community and supporters to live in a season of frenzied glee. This will increase their pride.
“Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. “Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it. “Furthermore, Samaria did not commit half of your sins, for you have multiplied your abominations more than they. Thus you have made your sisters appear righteous by all your abominations which you have committed. “Also bear your disgrace in that you have made judgment favorable for your sisters. Because of your sins in which you acted more abominably than they, they are more in the right than you. Yes, be also ashamed and bear your disgrace, in that you made your sisters appear righteous. (Ezekiel 16:49-52 NASB)
Church, humble yourself before the Lord this day. Don’t allow yourself to be molded by the squeezing pressure of those who hate God.
The best places to get information on this matter are primary sources. Kim Davis’ legal counsel Liberty Counsel has been the place where I’ve learned the most. If left to the media, you will only get what the media wants to tell you, and their agenda is to move your thinking away from truth so it can transform your thinking. We live in a day where primary sources are available within moments. Become a better informed follower of Christ. Don’t assume that a media source that is considered “Christian” or conservative is necessarily informing you from a primary source intent.
It is, as I argue always, a good day to be the church!
Today, Federal Judge Bunning ordered Rowan County, Kentucky, Clerk Kim Davis to be taken into custody by federal marshals and to remain in jail until she agrees to issue licenses for same-sex marriage bearing her name.
The plaintiffs did not even request incarceration, but Judge Bunning said that financial fines were not enough and ordered her to jail.
Kim Davis is being treated as a criminal because she cannot violate her conscience. While she may be behind bars for now, Kim Davis is a free woman. Her conscience remains unshackled.