There are many around the nation (USA) who are setting December 4 aside to put the face of Boise pastor, Saeed Abedini, back in front of the American people. I too will be joining the massive social media day of awareness.
Like many of you, several people have sent me Facebook invites, Twitter announcements, blogging tips expressing a hope to remind our countrymen that one of our own still remains behind bars in an Iranian prison.
I’ve reflected on this issue before, and I’ll continue expressing concern.
I welcome you to join me in this media blitz on Wednesday, December 4, 2013.
There will likely be different motives behind many who will participate in the day so let me clarify what I’ll be doing, why, and what I’m inviting you to do.
What I’m doing:
- First of all, (at risk of sounding self-pious) I intend to deny my flesh the comfort of food for 24 hours, sundown on 12/3 to sundown on 12/4.
- I will set my alarm clock for 2AM (12/4), rise out of my comfortable bed, go to my knees and plead my case before the Heavenly Father, again.
- Throughout the day, as the craving for food calls for satisfaction, I will intentionally resist my flesh and cry out to Jehovah for Saeed Abedini. (I’ll also pray generally for all suffering saints in chains)
- The only internet activity I will participate in is to periodically post a link to this blog post for the duration of the 24 hours.
- the prayer meeting at the meetinghouse of Eastside Baptist church will be devoted to praying for Saeed at 6:30PM on 12/4.
Why I’m doing what I’m doing:
- Scripture directs me how to think of believers who are in prison for living gospel saturated lives as if I were a prisoner at their side and to think of all who suffer as if I was the one suffering. (Hebrews 13:3)
- Scripture also teaches me to place my cause before God. Maybe God will direct a secular government to do His work but I will plead this cause to the Almight God who “does great and unsearchable things, wonders without number.” (Job 5:8-9 NASB)
- in this pop-culture, celebrity fascination day we live in, so few believers even take the time to consider the suffering saints “exposed to the test of public mockery and flogging, and to the torture of being left bound in prison” (Hebrews 11:36). God has something better planned for their day.
- My self-centered, selfish, unchecked nature knows nothing of self denial and must learn that it is subject to the Spirit of God. This can’t be done unless God helps.
What I’m inviting you to consider doing with me:
- join me from sundown (12/3) to sundown (12/4) and refrain from the comfort of food.
- wake up at 2AM and pray.
- resist the flesh and obey the Spirit as you pray throughout the day.
- resist engaging anyone in social media during the stated hours.
- Share this post on your social networks inviting believers to join together.
- join your church on December 4 to pray for Saeed.
- any combination of the above.
Many may be motivated by outrage that our government does so little. Some will launch campaigns to powerful politicians. Some will enlist a celebrity endorsement from someone in the entertainment industry. As for me, I’ll ask God to help me think like Job; “I would seek God, and I would place my cause before God; Who does great and unsearchable things, wonders without number.” (Job 5:8-9 NASB)