A study of a ‘blessing’ in Scripture is rich and insightful. I’ll share the ongoing effect of this study by sharing with you my written, spoken, blessing to my wife and children this year. For several years now I’ve been attempting to write messages, sermons, notes, blessings to my wife and sons (and now their wives).
With their permission I will share with you my 2013 Christmas blessing. After we read Scripture, open gifts and took pictures, I asked for everyone’s attention as I attempted to speak a blessing to them from my heart as I’ve observed them this past year. The risk for anyone to listen to me speak things out loud that are this close to my heart is a rather uncomfortable thing to witness. But I find it important to speak these kinds of words. So, I clip my pride at the quick and go for it.
Here is the product, my favorite gift I gave this year at Christmas: (You’ll be spared the awkward moments of the visual, physical burden of watching me speak from this close to my heart, it’s usually quite messy.)
2013 Christmas Blessing
Renee, David, Emily, Silas and Bianca,
I count it a joy in God to have each of you in my life. Each of us fit uniquely woven into the fibers of this family and others.
- Renee: You continue to be a binding property of unity and community. You have strong convictions that help remind me to look on always to Christ. It’s easy to see the influence of your mother on your life as you administrate the order of our home. You are a tireless worker, administrator, accountant, humanitarian, and encourager. You must rest in the Lord.
- David and Emily: You both are pleasant to be around. David, you bring depth to discussions of God that are beyond my understanding. Emily, I never have to fear awkward moments of silence, you are expressive in speech and animated in expression. It is a pleasure to be around you both.
- Silas and Bianca: Your visits are anticipated with joy. Silas, your hunger and thirst for righteousness makes me hungry and thirsty. Bianca, you are articulate and decisive, fearless and strong. Your courage to obey God is an example I adore in you both.
As all of you sort through the early years of adjustments and discoveries of yourselves and each other let not your hearts be troubled. It may never get any easier or better but you will not grow more dependent upon God or stronger in weakness without learning to fear the Lord.
- David and Silas: Because you are my sons, you have a propensity to be lazy. There is a weakness in our land that will erode your marriage into an unrecognized institution if you don’t give intentional discipline to your lives.
- Guard your marriages; your marriages require that you give your primary attention, time, and money for its benefit.
- Read Scripture together, pray together, minister together.
- Speak often to your wives; don’t let them grow lonely for attention.
- Super glue your marriages with experiences together.
- Don’t be afraid to laugh with each other.
- Be sure you suffer with her when she cries.
- Create an atmosphere of spiritual discourse.
- Valiantly put away all things that rob from her.
- Speak of her beauty to her and in her presence.
- Thank her for her courage to challenge your behavior.
- Thank her for enduring with you.
Don’t be fooled, this work will require of you more than you will naturally be able to do without walking in the fear of the Lord.
- Emily and Bianca: Because you are married to our sons, we adore you above all the daughters of men. As you know, we live in a day where few view marriage as an honorable institution. You will have an opportunity in your days to be among the few who will present their marriages to their peers in this honorable way.
- It will become easy for you to speak lowly of your marriage.
- Guard your marriage against silly slogans and Hollywood romance.
- Don’t give to your generation’s trendy ways; let your godliness be your reputation,
- don’t invite the imagination of men to enter your lives through photos you post online.
- Be courageous as you give yourself only to your husbands.
- Search out the counsel of other women in your church and measure that counsel against a righteous plumb-line.
- Limit your counsel from unconverted.
- May the Lord bless your homes with even more of His joy.
Even after 27 years of marriage, I hate seeing that I still have so much to shake off of my old man yet more resolved than ever before to honor my king. It is a blessing to see you strive toward godliness in spite of my lazy past.
1 I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. 2 My soul will make its boast in the LORD; The humble will hear it and rejoice. 3 O magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together.
4 I sought the LORD, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears. 5 They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces will never be ashamed. 6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him And saved him out of all his troubles. 7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them.
8 O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! 9 O fear the LORD, you His saints; For to those who fear Him there is no want. 10 The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing. 11 Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. 12 Who is the man who desires life And loves length of days that he may see good? 13 Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. 14 Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.
Psalms 34:1-14 (NASB)